Indian Cuisine Recipes
2 cups rice (long grain white rice or basmati rice)
2 TBS oil
2 limes (freshly squeezed)
Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp (available in Indian Store)
1 tsp mustard seeds
4-5 curry leaves
2 red chilies slit in half (for spicy hot)
Urdu Dhal 1 TBS
2 green chilies slit lengthwise
1/4 cup peanuts (roasted and unsalted)
Salt to taste
1. Cook rice in rice cooker. For 2 cups of rice add 3 1/4 cups water, add 1 tsp oil and 1 tsp salt, cook and keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, Urdu dhal, red chilies, green chilies, and fry 2-3 min.
3. Add peanuts and curry leaves and fry for a minute.
4. Add this mixture to rice and add salt and lime juice and mix well.
Potato Curry and Chickpeas
2-3lbs potatoes (red or white cooking potatoes)
2 cans chickpeas
1 tsp madras curry power (available in Indian store)
1-2 tsp turmeric
4-5 curry leaves
1 onion medium size
2-3 green chilies
3-4 Tbs. oil (ether peanut, canola, or vegetable oil)
Salt to taste
1. Peel the potatoes and cut them into small cubes and set them aside in water.
2. Chop onions and green chilies into small pieces.
3. Heat oil on medium high
4. Add chopped onions, green chilies, and curry leaves
5. Fry till light brown and add turmeric and chili powder and cut potatoes
6. Add 1-2 cups of water and salt to taste and let potatoes cook for 20 minutes (for thicker gravy smash few cooked potatoes with spoon)
7. After potatoes are cooked, add canned chick peas (drained and rinsed in water)
8. Stir well and add cilantro, cook for 2-3 min.
French-cut Beans & Baby Lima Beans
1 Pack frozen French-cut beans
1 Cup frozen baby lima beans
2-3 Tbs oil
1 tsp mustard seeds and 1 tsp cumin seeds
1 Tbs Urdu dhal
2 Green chilies
1/2 tsp madras curry powder
2-3 Garlic gloves
4-5 Curry leaves
1. Chop green chilies and garlic and set it aside
2. Thaw French-cut beans and baby lima beans and set aside
3. Heat oil in large skillet
4. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and Urdu Dahl
5. When mustard seeds splutter, add chopped green chilies and garlic and curry leaves, fry till light brown
6. Add Madras curry powder and French-cut beans and lima beans
7. Add salt to taste and sauté for 15-20 min or till cooked well.
Masoor Dahl With Vegetables (or Yellow Split Peas)
• 1 cup of Masoor Dahl (or yellow split peas)
• 2-3 cups of vegetables, chopped to 1-inch pieces i.e. carrots, Italian eggplant, okra, radish
• 1 small onion, chopped (or ¼ cup)
• 1-2 green chilies, chopped
• 1-2 medium tomatoes, chopped
• ¼ – 1 tsp. Madras Curry powder
• ½ tsp. turmeric
• Salt to taste
• Tamarind, about a 1-inch ball. Soak in warm water and squeeze out the juice. May also use 1-2 tsp. of lime juice.
1. Rinse the Masoor Dahl and cook with 2-3 cups of water in a pot until soft. Mash the peas into a “paste.” (If using yellow split peas, use a pressure cooker and cook peas for 15-20 min. or on stovetop until well cooked)
2. Add while the peas are cooking:
b. Madras Curry powder
c. Green chilies
d. Salt to taste
3. Place the chopped vegetables in another pot. Add 2-3 cups of water and salt to taste.
4. Cook the vegetables for about 5 minutes and add the tamarind juice
5. Add the vegetable to the Masoor Dahl paste and add water to your desired consistency.
6. Boil for about 5 minutes.
Seasoning for the dish:
• 1/4/ tsp. mustard seeds
• ¼ tsp. cumin seeds
• 1-2 red chilies, halved
• 2-3 cloves garlic crushed
• 1 small onion chopped (1/4 cup)
• 5-10 curry leaves
• 2-3 Tbs. fresh cilantro, chopped fine
• 1-2 Tbs. oil
Instructions for making seasoning:
1. Heat oil in a fry pan
2. Add and fry in order: mustard seed, cumin, red chilies, curry leaves, onion, garlic. Fry until light brown. Then add the fresh cilantro and stir briefly.
Final Step: Add the seasoning mixture to the Masoor Dahl. Remove from stove. Add lime juice at the very end. Serve and enjoy!
Andhra Curry Powder
Chili powder, 1 kilogram
Coriander powder, 100 grams
Methi powder, 50 grams
Turmeric powder, 50 grams
Cumin powder, 100 grams
Mustard powder, 50 grams
Instructions: Mix these powders together and put it in a tight container. Keep refrigerated for freshness.